Acquisition of Eligibility
The Employed insured
Foreigners and overseas Koreans residing and working at the insured company are compulsorily subscribed. It is possible to apply for exclusion in case of being secured with medical care corresponding to health insurance benefit in accordance with foreign regulation, insurance, a contract with the employer
Foreigners who registered to the Immigration Office or overseas Korean
- Persons who work at the workplace where the national health insurance covered
- Persons employed or appointed as public officials, teachers or school staff members of private school
A self-employed person employing a foreign worker must submit to the NHIS the report of the acquisition of the employee insured eligibility including a workplace and users (both employer and employee) voluntarily.
- Exclusion of health insurance application by overseas-based Koreans and foreigners…Apply from Jul. 31, 2007
- Applicable Act : enforcement decree of the national health insurance act article 76 & enforcement regulation of the same law article 61
- Target Subject: Among overseas Korean nationals and foreigners who are the employee insured, the persons described below may apply
- When the insured proves to get medical benefits equivalent to the medical care benefit based on foreign acts or foreign insurance
- When the insured proves to get medical benefits equivalent to the medical care benefit based on a contract with the employer
- Date of Loss of Eligibility: when submitting the “Employee Health Insurance Withdrawal Application” form within 14 days of the date when acquisition of eligibility was reported, the date of acquisition of eligibility becomes the date of loss of eligibility
- Application Form: “Employee Health Insurance Withdrawal Application” form and relevant documentary evidence
- Application Method : In case a foreigner and overseas Korean nationals are subject to the exempted application, the user shall submit reporting form of eligibility for the employee insured to NHIS with the attachment of following form of documents to the declaration of disqualification in a company member
Non-mandatory insurance subscription is available for a French worker. (from Jun. 1, 2007.)
The Self-employed insured
- Any foreigner or overseas Korean who has stayed in Korea for over six months is subject to mandatory subscription to health insurance(From July 16, 2019)
- People who have sojourn qualification based on rule annex 9 among those who have registered as foreigners based on immigration control act article 31
- A person who has reported on his/her place of residence in Korea under Article 6 of the Act on the Immigration and Legal Status of Overseas Koreans
- Overseas Korean nationals who registered the address in accordance with the citizen registration act, article no 6
Available Types of Visa
- Culture & Arts (D-1), Students (D-2), Industrial training (D-3), General training (D-4), Press coverage (D-5), Religious workers (D-6), intra-company transfer (D-7), Investment (D-8), Trade and management (D-9)
- Professor (E-1), Foreign language teaching (E-2), Research (E-3), Technological guidance (E-4), Professional employment (E-5), Arts and entertainment (E-6), Specific activities (E-7), Non-professional employment (E-9), Labor abroad (E-10)
- Visiting for cohabitation (F-1), Residence (F-2), Dependents (F-3), Overseas-based Korean (F-4), Permanent resident (F-5), Marriage immigration(F-6)
- Tourism employment(H-1), Visiting employment (H-2)
D-2, D-4 visa holders’ application to the self-employed insured is temporarily deferred until Feb. 28, 2021
The Employee insured
Contribution for the employee insured is calculated by multiplying the monthly wage and contribution rate.
Monthly Contribution = Monthly Wage X Contribution Rate
Contribution is paid by the employee insured (50%) and the employer (50%).
Contribution is paid by deducting withholding tax from the salary and applied retroactively at the time of employment.
The Self-employed insured
Contribution = Contribution score X Value per score (KRW)
- The method is same as local resident’s
- If the calculated insurance fee is less than the average fee, the average insurance fee levied.
Applicable types of visa
D-1 (culture and arts), D-2 (study abroad), D-3 (industrial training), D-4 (general training), D-5 (coverage), D-6 (religion), D-7 (sojourn), D-8 (corporate investment), D-9 (trade management), D-10 (job search), E-1 (professor), E-2 (speaking supervision), E-3 (research), E-4 (technical supervision), E-5 (specialized jobs), E-6 (artistic run), E-7 (specific activity), E-9 (non-professional employment), E-10 (crewman employment),
H-1 (working holiday), H-2 (visiting employee), G-1 (other), F-1 (visiting cohabitation), F-2 (residential), F-3 (accompany), F-4 (foreigner), overseas Koreans
- Foreigners permanently residing in the country.
- Calculation of contribution : the method is same as that of local resident’s
- Visa types : permanent residence (F-5), marriage immigrants (F-6)
- Reduction of insurance fee
- D-2 (study abroad), D-4 (general training), overseas Koreans study(C-9, C-10) : 50%
- D-6 (religious), F-1-16 (family of refugees), F-2-4 (immigrant refugees), G-1-16 (humanitarian sojourners), G-1-12 (family of humanitarian sojourners) : 30%
- Foreigner permanently residing in the country: the same as local residents (10-50%). In case they have income less than 3.6 million won per a year and assets less than 135 million won-value taxable property is less than 135 million won.
Types of Insurance Benefits
National Health Insurance for foreigners has the same coverage as it does for the Korean citizens Insurance Benefit
- Preventing, diagnosing, treating, or rehabilitating the insured or their dependents’ diseases or injuries
- In childbirth, death, and health promotion
Download Health Checkup Form
Health Checkup Multilingual Form
Korean Developmental Screening Test for Infants & Children (K-DST)