Go to Contents Directly Go to Main menu Directly Go to Footer Directly

National health insurance service


National Health Insurance Corporation


  • “A self-employed insured person departed on Mar. 5, 2007 and entered Korea on Apr. 26, 2007. If the person asked for the waiving of contributions during this period, can he be exempted from the charge of the contribution?”
    This person stayed outside of Korea for at least 1 month. In principle, benefit must be suspended from Mar. 6, 2007 to Apr. 25, 2007. The person must pay the contributions for March 2007 because his/her departure date is in March. However, the contributions for Apr. 2007 can be free of charge based on the date he/she entered.
  • “A person with D-7 VISA had entered Korea on Jan. 1, 2002 and got married a local resident afterward.
    If he/she changed the qualification for stay to F-2-1 as of Jan. 1, 2004, how does he/she acquire the eligibility of health insurance? The date of registering as an alien is Jan. 1, 2002, and it is not changed.”
    The contributions for foreigners is imposed from Jan. 1, 2002 to Dec. 31, 2003 based on his/her initial qualification.
    After Jan. 1, 2004, the contributions for local residents has to be imposed because this person married a local resident.
  • If a foreigner requests for the exclusion of long-term care, is health insurance excluded accordingly?
    - Is the contributions waived?
    Only he or she is exempt to the long-term care insurance. The person is entitled to pay the health insurance contribution.
  • Can an overseas Korean with F-4 VISA request for the exclusion of long-term care for foreigners?
    The exclusion of long-term care is applied to the employee insured with D-3 (Industrial Training), E-9 (Non-professional employment), or H-2 (Working Visit). Therefore, an overseas Korean may not request for the exclusion of long-term care.
  • “An overseas-based Korean who lost the eligibility of health insurance wants to reacquire the eligibility. In this case, what is the process of acquiring the eligibility?”
    (Detailed Explanation) In the case above, the person reacquires the eligibility as of the date of losing the previous eligibility. Based on the losing and regaining process for eligibility, contributions may not be imposed during the period of stay outside of Korea, if the period is no longer than 1 month. Except the period of stay outside, contributions must be retroactively imposed regardless of the period of stay in the country.